Whatever you do, make a difference
April 8, 2020
CALL TO ACTION
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED: On behalf of the Board of Governors of the Small Business Investor Alliance, we are issuing a call to action for all private equity fund managers. See the memo below, reach out to a small business today, spread the word on LinkedIn.
Each and every one of our member private equity funds is actively supporting the small businesses in our portfolios – companies that are some of the highest growth, biggest job-creating, and most sophisticated small businesses in the country.
In addition to fulfilling our fiduciary duty to our limited partners by taking care of our portfolio companies, SBIA is asking all private equity fund managers to help at least one small business that is not in your portfolio. Millions of small businesses are very small and do not have significant capital resources – these small businesses, their owners and employees are particularly vulnerable to this economic stoppage. They are also often anchors of communities and of families. They are the businesses and hardworking people that drive our economy.
This help has the potential to change a person’s life and the lives of their family, but also the potential to ripple into the community because these are the small businesses that volunteer and donate to community organizations, schools, scouts, and other community charities. Now they need our help.
Whatever you do, make a difference.
Ways you can help small businesses
- Share information with them about the Paycheck Protection Program and help them apply. You could introduce them to a banker providing this emergency assistance.
- Share your business expertise about how to manage through a business disruption.
- Share resources from SBIA or the Chamber of Commerce about emergency aid available.
- Share information about best practices that they might be able to apply to protect their employees’ health and protect their economic security.
- Make purchases of goods and services from them. Consider pre-purchasing if the business is not currently able to operate.
- Encourage your portfolio companies to purchase their goods and services.
- Provide whatever support you can with the means you have.
As an industry, let’s broaden our efforts to help more of the smallest American businesses and their workers.
Spread the Word
Follow SBIA on social media:
Then, do the following:
Don’t forget to tag your peers and colleagues.
Thank you for helping spread the word.
About the Small Business Investor Alliance (SBIA)
The Small Business Investor Alliance (SBIA) is the premier organization of lower middle market private equity funds and investors. SBIA works on behalf of its members as a tireless advocate for policies that promote competitive markets and robust domestic investment for growing small businesses. SBIA has been playing a pivotal role in promoting the growth and vitality of the private equity industry for over 60 years. For more information, visit www.SBIA.org or call (202) 628-5055.